Friday, June 24

Food Blog: Week 1

I feel weird the title of this bog not being "Thoughts on..." But, since it's about a specific dish, I think I'm going to sue this format when blogging about the dishes I make each week.

I know I was supposed to (per my last post) do this cooking thing on Wednesday, but my sister called and invited my husband and I over to dinner at my parents (weird, I know) because she was cooking a pork loin. I decided this was a better idea then cooking, so off we went.

Thursdays are my 1/2 day at work, so honestly, Thursdays might be a better day for me to embark on creating new menu items for us. I'm not getting to my dish fast enough. I'm fast forwarding to what I just cooked: Beefy Baked Ziti. This is a recipe that I found at my local Brookshires. They have a kiosk at the back and when surging it one day, I found this. I'm never had ziti, so I decided this would be my first endeavor. Ingredients are as follows:
  • 1lb dry ziti pasta
  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • 52oz Classico Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
  • 6oz provolone cheese, sliced
  • 6oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 Tbsp grated parmasean cheese

    It said to use a large skillet, but I chose to use a medium size one. I should have listened. The pot was soo close to over flowing. It was supposed to simmer for 15 minutes, and during that time, I imagined it splashing all over my kitchen when it was bubbling! I put a lid on it! (hahaha, I just imagined someone say "PUT A LID ON IT!" to a bunch of noisy kids.)

    I then layered everything, according to the instructions in a 9X13 pan. Again, I don't think this pan was really big enough. Do they make casserole dishes bigger then this? If so, I think I should invest in one!



    It then had to bake for 30 minutes in the over. Here's the finished product!

    It was pretty good. In our opinion, too much sour cream. I'm going to try making it again sometime with less. It makes A LOT of food. We each ate two servings and 1/2 the pan is left!!! Next time, I'm going to invite my parents over to help us finish it off!

    Love, Mrs. M.

    2 comments:

    1. That looks really yummy... please invite~ :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ditto! Sounds like a great dish for a big family get-together!
      Robin :-)

      ReplyDelete