Tuesday, April 5

Thoughts on long drives

Today, I drove to Abilene. From Dallas. And, I drove back. In all, I was gone from my house for 12 1/2 hours. It was a lllllllllllllooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg drive and a lllooonnnggg day. I went for a meeting for work. It was an OK meeting, and the meeting itself wasn't that long. It was supposed to go from 10am until 4pm. We went from 10-11:45ish and took lunch from 11:45ish to 1:15ish  and then we were done by about 3:15. But still, it was a very long day.

So, about long drives.  Why can't cars have that auto pilot feature like air planes do. The drive from Dallas to Abilene is pretty much straight (ok ok a couple of hills and curves are in there). But if we can have the GPS systems for the car, why can't they create the auto pilot thing? Typically I'm against the advancement of technology. Quite honestly, I'm afraid that they either will or have created something technologically that will wind up being the death of us. I mean, do we really need a robotic maid? I mean, look at Rosie, do we really want that roaming around, taking care of kids???

But even though I am generally against technological advances, I do think an auto pilot care thingy should be created. I could really have used it today to get a little rest/sleep. On my way out there today, the Dallas radio stations stopped working just on the other side of Weatherford. My sweet husband let me take his iPod with me, but the battery on it died before I made it to Abilene this morning. Then on the way back, from about Cisco to Weatherford, I had to listen to some right wing conservative grip and complain about the state of  US politics. Now, I'm definitely no liberal, but I'm also no conservative. I have views in both camps (thanks to good ol Mrs. Sneed).  At times, this nonintelligent man made me laugh, and other times I was disgusted at some of his "everyman for himself views" (I am a Social Worker you know). That hour and a half was a very low point in my life. I wound up just turing it all off and prayed for a while (which, let's be honest, is what I should have done in the first place).

So, in summary, I hate long drives, I think they should create an Automotive Auto Pilot, and I don't want Rosie raising any children.

Love, Mrs. M.

1 comment:

  1. O but they have indeed already made a robotic maid! How many times have you heard the line from parents... "When I really need to do _____ I just turn on ______(insert any children's show here)" The boob tube: Decimating the world's youth since 1929.

    ReplyDelete